The gooseberry A first flower is crocus. Crocus flowers are one of the brightest and earliest spring bloomers. Plant them in the fall and these easy-to-grow bulbs will light up your yard.warm spring-like weather in Vancouver means many gardening enthusiasts have already got their hands dirty.
Veggies Seeds to start in March
- Cool weather veggies go in now including:-arugula, broad beans, collards, corn salad, kale, Oriental greens, peas, radishes and spinach. Our robust veggie starts are generally in stock by early March.
Veggies Seeds to start in April
- In addition to the above March list you can also plant:- beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots (unless we are having a colder/wetter spring) fennel, green onions, kohlrabi, lettuce, onions, parsnips, swiss chard and turnips
Borders & Flower Gardens
- March is the month to feed your garden. Trees, shrubs, hedges, roses, perennials, vines, and small fruits can all be fertilized now. We stock a large selection of organic fertilizers which we know you will love! Our bulk ‘Organic Mix ‘ Fertilizer makes it easy and it is great for just about everything and is available in a large sack or in small amounts by the pound. Not sure what to use or how? Ask us and we will show you:)
- Rhododendrons, azaleas, heather, camellias, hedges and other acid loving plants can be fertilized with Plant Prod ‘Ever Acid’ liquid fertilizer for lovely deep green foliage and for the acidifying that they need
- Plant new trees, shrubs, roses, perennials, pansies, small fruits and hardy herbs. Include bonemeal, peat moss and manure or your own compost when planting and don’t forget to water new transplants frequently
- Hold off trimming down bulbs such as tulips and daffodils until the foliage is yellowing as this process is feeding the bulb for next Spring
- Prune summer blooming clematis back to about 3′. Leave Spring blooming varieties of clematis to prune, if necessary, after they flower as you would cut off the buds if you pruned these now
- Prune roses when the daffodils begin to bloom (usually early to mid March) and apply ¼ cup dry Epson salts around the base and scratch it in
- Prune Spring blooming shrubs such as Forsythia, magnolia and lilac after flowering
- Weed gardens before the weeds have a chance to flower and go to seed
- Compost or manure can be added to flower beds now
- Purchase summer flowering bulbs, roots, and tubers such as dahlias, lilies, hostas, glads and plant as packages recommend. Generally the winter hardy types like lilies and hostas are planted after March 1st and non-winter hardy types like dahlias and glads are planted after April 1st. Begonias are started indoors from February on but do not get transplanted outdoors until after Mother’s Day (same as most annuals)
- This is the time of year that the large shipments of new plants arrive and there is just about always something new at the Garden Centre!
- Control Moss in lawns if necessary (You will need two days of dry weather after it has been applied)
- Thatch lawn to remove thatch in older lawns and dead moss in lawns recently treated with moss control. (10 days after moss control)
- Lime lawns in preparation for fertilizing about two weeks later
- Feed lawn with a good quality Spring fertilizer. We like BC made Garden Pro 32-4-8 as it is made for our specific growing conditions
- Pull dandelions and other weeds from lawn before they flower and make new seeds
Ensure plants used in gardens will provide visual enjoyment all year long and meet the the sizes set out are set out front to back where visibility is a concern
In the garden.Garden accents can take the form of some serious statuary or be as delicate as a glass wind chime. Big or small, I believe such accents give the viewer information just as my card Does
A-Plus Gardening and Landscaping
has been Working on the North Shore 25 years
In North Vancouver And West Vancouver and the GVRD
A-Plus Lawn and Garden does it professionally with all the Good tools and experience that is needed.
From -Lawn care to Tree topping, Pruning trees and Shrubs & Trimming hedges. also paving stones …. pathways and retaining walls.
Drainage and Ponds, Sprinkler systems & Rubbish Removal
For more garden stuff Contact me email@example.com
A-Plus Gardening and Landscaping
North And West Vancouver BC For 25 Years As
A-Plus Gardening and Landscaping… •*♪ ♫